When leaving a relationship, you should get to keep what’s yours

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Unmarried Couples on Sunday, July 17, 2016.

Perhaps when you first moved in with your partner, it was intended as a trial run to see if you were compatible. Or maybe you never had designs on marriage but wanted to share your lives together. But whatever the circumstance, you and your partner cohabited for years without ever creating a formal legal agreement that would establish your rights if the relationship were to end.

And if you have arrived at the point where you and your partner are going your separate ways, you are faced with having to divide the assets you acquired while living together. Of course, if you had gotten married or created a prenuptial agreement, you would have established rules for property division that would make the process more clear-cut and simple.

However, without any binding legal documentation, you may find yourself in a dispute over the assets obtained during your time together with your partner. And this is why it can be very helpful to solicit the services of an attorney who has experience resolving property issues between unmarried partners.

At the Stange Law Firm, we have experience helping individuals who are extricating themselves from domestic relations and want to retain their personal property. One of the tools we use on your behalf is an “actual partition,” which can be used to clearly delineate which assets belong to you and which belong to the other party. Partitions can be applied to such things as farmland, real estate, savings accounts and even shared debts.

We would be very interested in helping complete the dissolution of your domestic relationship and you can read about our services in greater detail on the pages of this website.

Related Posts