Unwed couples should get legal assistance when dividing property

On behalf of Stange Law Firm, PC posted in Unmarried Couples on Friday, August 7, 2015.

Disputes over property are not only experienced by married couples. There are many people who have found themselves in a domestic relationship where both parties have shared property with one another, but come time for separation, they cannot agree on who gets what. In some cases, this can be easily resolved, but in others, this dispute may result in couples going to court and letting a judge decide what each person will walk away with.

For unmarried couples in Missouri, property division may be decided quickly and easily because property is considered personal property. Unfortunately, this isn’t something that both parties may agree upon. In this case, they have the option to have a partition filed, which may help solve how and if the home, savings accounts or investment accounts may be divided.

Like most disputes between couples, married and unmarried, it can possibly be resolved with the assistance of an attorney. Attorneys are familiar with these types of cases and how the process works if two couples cannot agree on how they will divide property, so they may be able to offer insight as to how things should be handled. They may also be able to answer questions and clear up any confusion there may be.

If you are part of an unmarried couple and are concerned about how property will be divided in the event of a separation, you may want to consult with an attorney. Attorneys at Stange Law Firm are familiar with these types of cases and may be able to assist with yours. With unmarried couples, property division doesn’t work the same way as it does with married couples, so hiring an attorney may protect you and allow you to walk away with what is rightfully yours.

Related Posts